Thursday, November 26, 2009

Glass Ornament Ball Wreath

I love the glass ornament ball wreaths. However I do not love the price tags that come along with one (usually $60 and up). I have made most of my Christmas decorations (wreaths, garland, etc.) so I figured I'd give this a try. It actually is a fairly simple and inexpensive project.

1. Head to your local Garden Ridge or Walmart and get a package of medium size balls. I did red, gold, and green. Garden Ridge has 24 packs of each for $5.99. (72 medium balls total). I think walmarts are a bit more expensive, but they have some really cute glitter ones! You also need small balls to fill in the holes, I got a 12 pack of each color (red, green, gold also from Garden Ridge).

2. Get the biggest Styrofoam wreath from Michael's (don't forget to print a %40 coupon from the web before you go) and red 2 inch ribbon (I got a big spool of velvet ribbon for about $3.00). You are going to need lots of glue sticks for your hot glue gun so buy a pack while you are at Michael's.

3. You are almost ready to go to work. Take the hook's off each ball so that the gold doesn't sparkle and distract from you wreath. Once all are removed you can start gluing your balls to the wreath.

4. Start on the outside with the wreath flat on the table and hot glue the balls to the side of the wreath with the openings facing down (that will be the back side). Do the same for the inside. Be sure to distribute the balls evenly around the wreath.


5. Start layering the balls around the front of the wreath. Try to keep the balls close together. I hot glued the balls on the bottom and then to the balls around it to keep it from clinking together.



6. Go back and fill in empty holes with the small balls. Again be sure to distribute the balls evenly by color. Let all the hot glue dry before picking up to make sure you don't shatter any of the glass ornaments.



Wa-la! Beautiful, fancy ornament wreath (I would advise against putting the glass balls on the outside as hot glue unsets in extremely cold weather).

No comments:

Post a Comment